Position: Director Legal/Board Secretary
Reports to: Executive Director
The Director Legal and Board Secretary will be responsible for providing the Authority with legal counsel, guidance and representation as wells as co-ordinating the affairs of the Board.
• Providing legal advice to the Authority
• Ensuring that the Authority’s operations are in compliance with the provisions of the Registration of Persons’ Act and Regulations as well as other applicable Laws and guidelines
• Overseeing and monitoring progress of any legal proceedings including litigation and alternative dispute resolution
• Coordinating the business of the Board including scheduling meetings, notice of meetings and submission of documents for Board meetings in line with the approved Board Charter and related guidelines
• Taking minutes at Board Meetings, maintaining proper records of decisions of the board and a custodian of critical documentation of the Authority
• Being a key liaison between the Board and Management in order to support the efficient operations of the Authority
• Managing the performance and development of staff in the department in line with the Authority’s objectives and overall mandate.
• A bachelor’s degree with Honours in Law from a recognized institution
• A Masters Degree in Law or other relevant field is a must
• A Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre (LDC) or an institution recognized by the Uganda Law Council
• Professional qualification of a Certified Chartered Secretary is a must
• At least 10 years experience in a reputable Public or Private organization five (5) of which should be at senior management level.
• Capacity to competently appear before the Courts of Judicature
• A valid practicing certificate is an added advantage
• Leadership & Supervision: Analytical, problem solver and decision maker. Ability to unify, steer and teams towards achievement of results or a common objective
• Communication: ability to express oneself fully both verbally and in writing
• Team building: ability to garner support, develop teams, minimize conflict and handle team dynamics
• Managing performance: good understanding and experience in the basics of managing individual and team performance
• Flexibility and adaptability: ability to prioritize and perform effectively under pressure, in the face of setback and/or resistance and to unforeseen
• Computer and Information Literacy: ability o use computers and related systems/technology in the execution of one’s job role and related activities.
Age: Below 55 years of age
Term: The contract is 5 years renewable only once after satisfactory performance.
Interested persons should submit an application clearly indicating the position applied for and the job reference, detailed curriculum vitae (CV), copies of academic and professional certificates/ testimonials addressed to the Executive Director.
The above documents should be submitted in soft copy firstname.lastname@example.org Applications should include a daytime telephone contact of the applicant and names and contact details of at least three (3) referees.
Applications should reach the above address not later than 5.00pm on Friday 26 th June 2020. Applications received after the closing time and date shall not be considered. NIRA is an equal opportunity employer.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing or lobbying shall